I, Dr Ian Dutton, Director (Marine Resources), Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment, acting pursuant to a delegation from the Minister for Primary Industries and Water made on 7 January 2021 and acting pursuant to Section 20(1) of the Living Marine Resources Management Act 1995 (the Act), in accordance with the Fisheries (Scallop) Rules 2020, hereby:
1. Determine under Rule 18(1)(a), the dates of the open season for the commercial scallop fishery, are from 10:00am 1 September 2021 to 11:59pm 31 December 2021 (inclusive).
2. Determine under Rule 19(1)(a) and 19(1)(b), the specified area of State waters to be open to the commercial scallop fishery for commercial scallop dredging are;
- State waters known as the Babel Island Scallop Area, contained within the following boundary:
- from latitude 39o 52.5' S, longitude 148o 15' E; to
- latitude 39o 52.5' S, longitude 148o 30'E; to
- latitude 40o 00' S, longitude 148o 30' E; to
- latitude 40o 00'S, longitude 148o 15'E; to
- from latitude 39o 52.5' S, longitude 148o 15' E.
3. Specify under Rule 19(1)(c), the amount of scallops that may be taken or possessed in total from all areas of the commercial scallop fishery determined to be open under the provisions of Rule 19(1)(a) of the Rules is 1494.9 tonnes.
Director (Marine Resources)
Dated this 19th day of August 2021
This Notice determines the arrangements for the Tasmanian Scallop Fishery for commercial purposes and open waters for commercial fishing in the Babel Island Scallop Area, all other State waters are closed.
For further information please contact James Parkinson; Phone 0457 005 376