Living Marine Resources Management Act 1995
Fisheries (Scalefish) Rules 2015
NOTICE OF THE DATES OF THE CLOSED SEASON FOR PART OF THE SCALEFISH FISHERY AND NOTICE OF SCALEFISH FISHERY CLOSURE TO SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES
I, Graham Woods, Acting Director (Marine Resources) in the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment, acting pursuant to a delegation from the Minister for Primary Industries and Water made on 12 November 2018 and acting pursuant to section 20(1) of the Living Marine Resources Management Act 1995 (the Act), hereby determine under rule 11(1)(c) of the Fisheries (Scalefish) Rules 2015 (the Rules):
A. that the dates of the closed season for that part of the Scalefish Fishery specified in schedule 1 are from 12:01 am 1 October 2019 to 11:59 pm 31 October 2019; and
B. that the parts of the scalefish fishery specified in schedule 1 are closed to, or in respect of, the activities specified in schedule 2.
All that part of the Scalefish Fishery in State waters adjacent to the north coast of Tasmania and in Bass Strait:
- bounded in the west by an imaginary line starting at Cape Grim and then running due west along the line of latitude at 40°40'S to the limit of State waters; and
- bounded in the north by the limit of State waters; and
- bounded in the east by an imaginary line starting at Cape Naturaliste and then running due east along the line of latitude at 40°50'S to the limit of State waters.
- The take of all squid species, including southern calamari (Sepioteuthis australis).
- The possession of squid other than;
- the possession of Gould's squid by the holder of a Commonwealth authority that were taken under that Commonwealth authority, or by the holder of a Tasmanian fishing licence (automatic squid jig) that were taken under the authority of that licence in State waters;
- the possession of squid (whole or part) where the person possessing the squid can establish that the squid was purchased from a commercial supplier or was taken by the holder of a fishing licence (personal) in an open season and open area.
- The possession of squid jigs attached to a hand line or rod and line.
Dated at HOBART this 9th day of September 2019
A/Director (Marine Resources)
(This information does not form part of the notice)
The squid fishery (including calamari and Gould's squid) will be subject to a spawning closure from 1 October 2019 to 31 October 2019 (inclusive).
The closure applies to both non-commercial and commercial fishers.
This closure is a precautionary measure aiming to restrain catch and limit disturbance during part of the peak spawning activity to help maintain calamari stocks into the future. The closure applies to all squid species for effective compliance purposes.
It is prohibited to take squid (including calamari and Gould's squid) in this area during the closure. In addition, a person cannot possess squid for use as bait unless they can prove that the squid being used for bait were purchased from a commercial supplier or was taken by a commercial fisher in an open season and open area.
Squid jigs are not permitted to be attached to a line (hand line or rod and line) when in the closed area.
Transiting the closed area in possession of squid taken outside the area is not permitted—with some exceptions as detailed in schedule 2 of the notice.
See more details at the DPIPWE website (www.fishing.tas.gov.au). Please contact the Wild Fisheries Management Branch on (03) 6165 3044 if you require further information.